Monday, September 03, 2007

Day 8 - Touring Rome as a group

Who the hell wakes up at 5:45am?? OMG I needed sleep. Not only could I not sleep the night before, but because we went to sleep when the power got cut, we didn't turn the lights off. So when the council turned the power back on during the night to test whatever you do, it woke me up. Luckily they turned it off again soon, but that only lasted about 10mins before the lights came on at 3am. So eventually I got the shits and had to jump up and turn the lights off. So by the time it was 5:45am, I was NOT a happy chappy. Especially not when I got a 6am call from Australia with people screaming at me. But thats another story in itself.

We quickly showered and dragged our sorry arses down to the breakfast hall only to realise they weren't open yet. So the whole tour group is standing outside the hall ready to draw blood after the early morning wake up call when the scared waiter decided to let us all in. Me and Moishii grabbed a strategic table where I shoved my big bag on a spare chair for our usual "take away" breakfast for lunch.

So instead of being social and getting to know other people on the tour group, we grabbed our own table in the corner before hitting the breakfast table.

Cornetti and other pastries

Donuts

Deli meat and cheese

Starting the day right

Moishii grabbed me a cappucino from the coffee machine, but this tasted completely crap when compared to what our local coffee guy made for us. It was at this time that I looked up and saw good old standing infront of the coffee machine looking completely lost.


A minute later, she's surrounded by people who were trying to teach her how to use the machine. I pointed this out to Moishii and he's like "Theres only a few buttons on the machine...cappucino, espresso, latte, water and hot chocolate". Thats it. Yet it took her about 5 minutes to get a coffee out of the machine. It was at this time that I noticed that you can order a freshly brewed cappucino from the waiter, instead of the horrible machine crap. Once Good old saw me do this, she quickly ordered herself one as well. Then all of a sudden, Good old's Husband turns to us and says "I'm not sure if you already know this, but theres about another 4-5 Australia couples on this tour". Errrr...yes we know, because he told us yesterday!

We ran back to the room to pack our bags and get ready for the day. First stop was the Vatican, which bans large bags. This meant that I had to carry my little handbag which had to fit my DSLR, my point and shoot, mobile, wallet, water and other essentials. Yeh good luck with that. I decided to get my gym bag and shove some supplies in there so we can keep that on the bus incase we needed a change of clothes or something. So I'm walking towards the bus when Cabbage Patch decided to stop me screaming that my bag is too big and heavy. Like WTF? I've got a pair of pants and a tshirt in there for me and Moishii, plus our lunch. I ignored her and shoved my way onto the bus anyway. So whilst I'm trying to find somewhere to shove my bag, suddenly there's a big bush of hair thats practically shoved into my face. Enter Kath.


Like OMG. Its like a forest on her head! Its exactly like the hair the woman who had the suitcase dropped on her head looked like! This started a whole laughing fit.

The bus finally takes off and we're driven to a few blocks within the Vatican where we walk 10mins to the end of a 1km line!! Its barely 7:30am, and theres a line going all the way around the Vatican! Even with our tour booking, we had to stand and wait for an hour before we could get in. Not before we're harrassed by Gypsies selling scarves, water and postcards.

We finally get into the Vatican and its breathtaking. Words won't do it justice, so I'll just show you the photos:

Entry way

One of many statues

The start of the hundreds of artworks on the ceiling = Neckpain





This isn't 3D, its actually a flat painting on the ceiling!!




After walking an hour through the Vatican, we ended up at the Sistine Chapel. Unfortunately, we weren't allowed to take any photos in order to preserve the fresco. I did try to take one secretly, but almost got busted by security. Not that the photos will turn out anyway.

The next stop was St Peters.

Holy Water

Rubbing St Peter's feet

Virgin Mary and Jesus




Me in St Peter's Square


We ended up at St Peter's square afterwards where we were free to roam around for an hour to grab food before meeting up with the tour group. I quickly ducked into one of the shops to buy a few rosaries for my Sister and the kids. The shop actually takes the Rosaries to be blessed by the Secretary of the Pope (Not the Pope himself) and deliveries them to the hotel for free. So although they were more expensive than what you could by on the streets, I think the sentimental value was well worth the money.

We ducked into the nearest bar for lunch as we were too tired and hot to walk around and ended up getting a Palmier each with our coffee. This was a bad idea. Don't get me wrong, it was delicious. But when its 35degree heat and your dehydrated, the last thing you want is to try and cram that down your throat. I had about half before I gave up.


We walked outside to buy some water, only to see people pay about 3euros for one small 500ml bottle. I refused to pay that amount and insisted that we walk the back streets. 2mins later, we stumble on a fruit shop that was selling 1.5L bottles for 60c! God we should buy 10 and sell it to Good Old for 20euros each!

We run back to the bus and the next stop was the Colossuem. Not before I get corner by Camera Susan who was completely fascinated with our DSLR, and we got into this big camera talk and I ended up having to give a tutorial to them on how to use their point and shoot.

We finally get to the Colosseum where we stand in the boiling hot sun for 45mins before we get inside. Not before Good Old and Ron having a tiff about him wanting to find the Gladiator and ask for a refund. It was at this stage that our local tour guide Nicoletta was telling us how the Gladiators were only asking for 3euros and how some are rude enough to ask for 20. This is when Good old and Ron pipe up screaming they paid 20euros each. If you didn't know better, you'd think they were proud of it.....

Anyway, here's more of the Colosseum:


I don't get it either.....

Inside the Colosseum

Siesta inside the Colosseum

This was our last stop for the day as we weren't about to pay 40euros to drive around the city for their optional excursion. So the bus is driving us all back to the hotel when we drive past a REALLY nice looking building, but I had packed my camera away already. So I did the next best thing. I grabbed Moishii's camera, that was still around his neck and yanked him half way across the bus to take about 30photos! This started a laughing fit that lasted a good 10mins. Luckily the hotel wasn't far away, where we ran into the room and collapsed into a laughing heap.

After a quick shower, we decided to head to Flaminio to try and find an internet cafe to reprint some of our documents. We stopped by a pizza joint for some take away pizza first.

Eggplant and Mushroom

Following the directions of local strangers, we ended up walking around in circles, only to stumble across this:



OMG! ITS A SIGN!! I'm scared already.....

Anyway, 30mins later, we're still walking and theres no intercafe insight. We found another local who basically told us there are no internet cafes around at all. CRAP. We decided to slowly walk back to the metro, where we brought up the topic of Good Old. And somehow we got onto the topic of what type of person they were, and I came to the conclusion that she's probably the type that has a tiny little pomeranian that she completely spoils and talks to like a baby. Almost like a Paris Hilton.

Anyway, as we're walking back to the Hotel, we bump into Good Old and her hubby having dinner at a restaurant right around the corner. We stopped by for a chat, when suddenly she screams, jumps up and runs off. WTF?

I turn around in time to see her lunge at a guy who was walking his beagle. Apparently they LOVE their dogs and miss their beagle at home terribly. Then she starts attacking the dog and smooching him and practically wrestles him! Am I a psychic or what?????


We barely made it back to our hotel room before I had a laughing fit!

BTW, its my 500th Post!!!!

No comments: