A 5 year pact comes to an end
5 years ago, on Australia day, Me, Moishii and Josh found ourselves at Balmoral beach in the middle of the night. We were young then (Not that I'm THAT old now...) and didn't know what to expect from life. We had all barely graduated and was taking the first step into the rest of our lives. So we started talking about our dreams and aspirations. Then came the question of "Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?". Knowing we weren't going to remember a thing that we said, we decided to write down our goals into a letter, and swap it with someone else. We all agreed to meet up again 5 years later on Australia day to open those letters. No matter where we were in the world, we would come back to Sydney and meet up at Balmoral beach.
In a blink of an eye, its been 5 years. Having to meet up meant 5 years of our lives had passed. That 5 years saw us go from the early twenties into the second quarter of a century in our lives. Me and Moishii haven't lost contact at all in those 5 years. In fact, I think we see too much of each other and need to start seeing other people! Josh on the other hand, took up travelling. He's been overseas for the past few years. Whether its teaching in a sports camp in the US, back packing through Europe (To meet us on our first trip!) or even working as a tour guide in Asia, he's kept in contact with Moishii. Being the nomad that he is, its hard to get in contact with him. Well, thats my excuse for not keeping in contact. But I do hear all about his escapades via Moishii who passes along my messages to Josh.
Having to meet up in 5 years wasn't an issue for Me and Moishii, we never left! (Well, except for our holidays) But having Josh back was awesome! Josh got back just days before Australia day for our little meeting. But with everyones schedule, we decided to meet up the night before Australia day and wait til midnight. And with the weather, we opted to stay in the city where it was close to alcohol instead of risking a thunderstorm at Balmoral. The meeting wasn't as planned, but we got together at the end of the day. It was a great feeling being able to meet up and fulfill our 5 year pact. And of course, the first thing we did was drink:
In a blink of an eye, its been 5 years. Having to meet up meant 5 years of our lives had passed. That 5 years saw us go from the early twenties into the second quarter of a century in our lives. Me and Moishii haven't lost contact at all in those 5 years. In fact, I think we see too much of each other and need to start seeing other people! Josh on the other hand, took up travelling. He's been overseas for the past few years. Whether its teaching in a sports camp in the US, back packing through Europe (To meet us on our first trip!) or even working as a tour guide in Asia, he's kept in contact with Moishii. Being the nomad that he is, its hard to get in contact with him. Well, thats my excuse for not keeping in contact. But I do hear all about his escapades via Moishii who passes along my messages to Josh.
Having to meet up in 5 years wasn't an issue for Me and Moishii, we never left! (Well, except for our holidays) But having Josh back was awesome! Josh got back just days before Australia day for our little meeting. But with everyones schedule, we decided to meet up the night before Australia day and wait til midnight. And with the weather, we opted to stay in the city where it was close to alcohol instead of risking a thunderstorm at Balmoral. The meeting wasn't as planned, but we got together at the end of the day. It was a great feeling being able to meet up and fulfill our 5 year pact. And of course, the first thing we did was drink:
As with the letter thing. Well, Josh never wrote one. I guess he wasn't a letter writing guy. And since he had to leave early, me and Moishii decided to drive to my local park and open our letters. (We had to get out of the car park before 1am, and I didn't want people seeing my reaction in public!!)
What can I say? I totally DO NOT remember half of the stuff I wrote down! I had expected in 5 years time to be working for Ch10 as a graphic/special effects artist. I would've been involved in script writing and even developing short films! Of course, even I knew that it was a load of BS 5 years ago. So I wrote what the more realistic future was going to be for me. I was hoping to work in a large international company (Check!) as a Business Analyst (Err...getting there...) that gives me plenty of opportunities to travel overseas (Ok...semi check. They don't send me overseas, but I get plenty of leave to go overseas myself???). Preferably I wanted to be working overseas for a large company that would send me back to Sydney for work. That way I would only have to pay the taxes overseas and escape the bloody 35% tax in Australia. I wasn't going to be married, although I was expecting myself to be married by 28 (eek!! I've got 2 years left!!). I think I also mentioned that I wasn't really interested in travelling Europe, and that I was content with Asia (THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT MOISHII!!!)
I guess I was quite realistic in what I wrote. I have achieved parts of my goals. Although my goals have changed somewhat in the past 5 years. And the other parts.....well...fate just wasn't on my side. As for Moishii...lets see. Where shall I begin?
He wanted a Red Corolla. Very specifically RED. He's supposed to be married and having his first kid by the age of 26! He's either running his own film production company, or he's running a radio station or working in the media (Channel 7, 9 and 10) or with a magazine. He did achieve his goal of travelling around Europe. And he wanted 3 mortgages by the time he was 26. Err...hello?? Who's bitching about their ONE mortgage now??
It was hilarious reading back through the stuff we wrote. I decided to throw in some random events into the letter which I seriously don't remember! Apparently Moishii bidded in an Auction to win a trip for 2 to visit the set of Buffy?? WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN???
This time, we agreed that instead of doing a 5 year pact, lets shorten it to a 2 year pact. We're going to do the letters again, but I expect a lot more detail is going to go into the letters. Probably we won't have as much to shock us with the blog and our obsession with taking photos, but lets see where we will be in 2 years time hey?
What can I say? I totally DO NOT remember half of the stuff I wrote down! I had expected in 5 years time to be working for Ch10 as a graphic/special effects artist. I would've been involved in script writing and even developing short films! Of course, even I knew that it was a load of BS 5 years ago. So I wrote what the more realistic future was going to be for me. I was hoping to work in a large international company (Check!) as a Business Analyst (Err...getting there...) that gives me plenty of opportunities to travel overseas (Ok...semi check. They don't send me overseas, but I get plenty of leave to go overseas myself???). Preferably I wanted to be working overseas for a large company that would send me back to Sydney for work. That way I would only have to pay the taxes overseas and escape the bloody 35% tax in Australia. I wasn't going to be married, although I was expecting myself to be married by 28 (eek!! I've got 2 years left!!). I think I also mentioned that I wasn't really interested in travelling Europe, and that I was content with Asia (THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT MOISHII!!!)
I guess I was quite realistic in what I wrote. I have achieved parts of my goals. Although my goals have changed somewhat in the past 5 years. And the other parts.....well...fate just wasn't on my side. As for Moishii...lets see. Where shall I begin?
He wanted a Red Corolla. Very specifically RED. He's supposed to be married and having his first kid by the age of 26! He's either running his own film production company, or he's running a radio station or working in the media (Channel 7, 9 and 10) or with a magazine. He did achieve his goal of travelling around Europe. And he wanted 3 mortgages by the time he was 26. Err...hello?? Who's bitching about their ONE mortgage now??
It was hilarious reading back through the stuff we wrote. I decided to throw in some random events into the letter which I seriously don't remember! Apparently Moishii bidded in an Auction to win a trip for 2 to visit the set of Buffy?? WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN???
This time, we agreed that instead of doing a 5 year pact, lets shorten it to a 2 year pact. We're going to do the letters again, but I expect a lot more detail is going to go into the letters. Probably we won't have as much to shock us with the blog and our obsession with taking photos, but lets see where we will be in 2 years time hey?









No comments:
Post a Comment