Sunday, April 09, 2006

We'll always have Mykonos

We've been back from our Trip for a good 6months and yet, we still can't forget Mykonos. Less than 2 months after we got back, we received an email from the travel agent we booked our Mykonos accomodation from. They were holding their first ever photo contest where the 1st prize was 7 nights accomodation in Mykonos and 2nd, 3rd and 4th prize was 3 nights free accomodation. On the very last night in Mykonos, the Italian guy leaned towards me and said "I'll see you next year". Was this a sign to enter? Does it matter? All we needed to do was enter photos taken from Greece in order to be eligable. And we have ALOT of photos from Greece. In fact, we have about 6Gigs worth of photos. And so it began......

I would open 5-6 browsers and simultaneously upload 5-6 photos at one go where each photo was over 2mb in size. Which meant I was bashing their server with over 10mbs of data at once, time after time after time. The contest closed on 28th February and the winner to was to be announced in the first week of March. So I checked the website. First thing in the morning. First thing when I get home from work. In the first week of March, I checked that website over 50times a night. I would sit infront of my computer and hit the refresh button every 2-5mins. I sent them emails asking them time and time again, when the winners would be announced. I was always an optimist, thinking they were just taking their time deciding. Moishii was forever the pessimist insisting its all one big scam where they get a whole bunch of photos to use on their brochures for free. I didn't care. I was grasping onto straws for hope. I had entered over 200 photos! I had to win! I just HAD TO!

I couldn't check the site at work because most of the plugins and scripts were blocked by our firewall. So I would call Moishii. He would be in the middle of a meeting, or he would desperately be trying to finish off some work to meet a deadline. It didn't matter. I would be on the other side of the phone screaming for him to check the website. We went to Hunter Valley for the weekend where we were a world away from any Internet Cafe. So what did we do? I would call my friend and ask my friend to check for us. I was desperate! It was Mykonos! It was fate calling us to enter! IT WAS MYKONOS!!!

Days passed, and then weeks. I still kept up my ritual. Check the website first thing in the morning, first thing when I get home, every time I walked into my room. I haven't rebooted my computer in over a month because I was forever checking that website. They eventually took the photo contest page down after 2 weeks. This must be it, they're going to announce it soon! A week later......nothing. ANOTHER week later, they changed the layout of their website. I start freaking out screaming that they're going to announce it soon. By this stage, Moishii was getting sick and tired of my phone calls, my screaming, my obsession and worst of all, my running out of Italian class during the breaks and heading towards the nearest computer to check the site. Even I was starting to give up hope......I had lost count of how many times I've emailed them......

I came home last Wednesday, walked into my bedroom and turned on my monitor. I scrolled down the page and barely noticed a tiny little link at the bottom of the page.

"Travel-Photo Contest Winners"

Oh my freakin god! ITS UP!!! I'm hyperventilating and shaking when I click on the link. My hands start sweating and my head starts spinning. The page loads up and the first thing I saw was a photo of a gorgeous sunset taken at the Athens Olympic Stadium. Damn bitch won first prize!!! Scrolled down a bit further...my heart sunk to the bottom of my stomache. 2nd prize was a panoramic photo taken by a biatch called "Christine" of an Island at night. How dare she enter a photo that won 2nd prize when we didn't?

I was furious by this time. That is until I saw Moishii. Thats right. Right beneath the gorgeous sunset and the beautiful night panoramic photo was Moishii standing on a flight of stairs, arms stretched out like he was about to take a flying leap off the damn thing whilst flapping his arms! My eyes start to blur and my head starts spinning. Have I been sniffing magic mushrooms again? Is that Moishii on the website? I look to the left of the page and there it was. My name splashed next to the photo. Wait, maybe it was ANOTHER Lily.......who was also from Sydney.......who had a bozo looking friend like Moishii.......who also went to Rhodes. OH MY FRICKIN GOD I WON!!!!!!!!! I WON!!!!!!!! I WON I WON I WON!!!! I flew off my chair and threw myself onto my bed looking for my handbag. I rummaged through my bag trying to find my mobile and ended up tipping EVERYTHING onto the ground. I managed to find my mobile and called Moishii up only to get his voicemail. I don't remember exactly what message I left, but I think it was something along the lines of "CALL ME BACK AS SOON AS YOU GET THIS!!! ITS URGENT!!!". Less than 5mins later Moishii called back thinking I was in the process of getting mugged or raped. All he could hear of the phone was "WE WON!!! WE WON!!!!! WE WONNNNNN!!!!!!!! AHAHAHAHAH WE WONNNNNNN!!!!!!!!! OMG WE WON!!!!!!!!!". Now I've pulled this trick on him before and he didn't believe me, and he didn't believe me this time....but 30seconds of my hysterical laughing and screaming, he jumped on the net to see for himself. His comment ? "WHY THE FUCK DID YOU ENTER MY PHOTO!? I LOOK RIDICULOUS!!!!"

Moishii.....honey......what are the chances that they are going to make a life size cardboard cut out of you and stick you outside every single office they have? Or they're going to put you on the cover of their brochures? HAHAHAHA Its like, gorgeous sunset, romatic night shot of an island, and then theres Moishii. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

For those who want to see for themselves......the link is here

and here: http://www.windmillstravel.com/article.php?id=244

6 comments:

Victoria A said...

ROFL!@# I almost wet my pants laughing when I saw the photo.
What was he thinking when he posed for it? "I'm jumping Batman catch meeeeeeeeeeeeee" ?!
GOOD WORK though! *clap clap* :D

Ayako1984 said...

Ahahaha...poor E....=D but congratulations on your prize! =)

PiCkLeS said...

wow thats pretty awesome!

SoRMuiJAi said...

AHeAHeha Thanks thanks! 1months worth of perseverence finally paid off!~

petals said...

So, when is the date set? Are you thinking September again?

How long is your escapade going to be this time around?

I'm still amazed that you guys won 3rd Prize...you should have taken 1st Place!
=P

hehehehheehe

SoRMuiJAi said...

I think we should as well! The first 2 photos looks like it was taken by a professional! The photo I took was on an empty stomache, strong sun and lack of sleep!