Tuesday, April 18, 2006

A fever, a holiday and clarity.

I was sick the whole of last week, but I still powered on and rocked up to work every day. By Wednesday I had felt like I was on my deathbed. I really, REALLY needed Thursday off to recover but I was worried that work may think I was chucking a sickie just to get a longer weekend. I did contemplate going to work, but Wednesday was just too painful to relive. So I took Thursday off and got to sleep in to recover. By late afternoon I was well enough to head out to the city for my Italian Class. The plan was to go to Equilibrium after class to meet up with some people for some drinking. I love my alcohol, but considering I was starting to get all feverish again, we all thought it was time to head on home. This is when Cookiez asked for a lift to Broadway. No problems. As long as she films with us Monday! MuahAUahAUah

I had originally planned to spend the entire long weekend in bed nursing myself back to health, but I somehow got roped into doing construction work for my sister. And by construction work, I mean ripping down their garden shed, chopping down 7-8m high trees, digging ditches and trenches, and MANUALLY mix over a TON of concrete only then to tile over it. 3 grown men don't even know how to lay down tiles properly and need a chick (Me) to teach them how to do it. Lucky I stepped in early and they only had to rip up the 6 tiles they laid down in 45mins. Men.

The long weekend ended with a filming session that was long overdue. "Hidden Intentions", a film originally started by Moishii in Uni about love and relationships with a murder mystery thrown in. Love triangles, long lost sisters and consipiracy. A bit like Melrose. That is until I stepped in. Suddenly we have people running around with cocopops bombs, popping out of car trunks, spells and curses with a kidnapping thrown in. Some people have seen our little "movie" and think we're completely insane. Some people understand and laugh along with our movie. Maybe it was my fever, or sunstroke, or the pills I was popping, but suddenly it all became clear.

I felt sorry for those people who didn't understand our movie. Well ok, maybe not "understand" our movie, hell WE don't even understand our movie, but they don't understand why we film it. Their attitude is "What a totally idiotic thing to do, a complete waste of time and damn right embarrassing". Yes its embarrassing, and yes we're acting like idiots, but it nots a waste of time. You could argue that our time could be better spent going to the museum, studying shakespear, reciting Lord of the Rings by heart, build a computer part from scratch. Yes we could. But so what? Yay, I can tell people that I've read every single one of Shakespears play, my grand kids will be impressed. Whoopdeedoo.... But tell me, are you able to share your knowledge with your friends and bring you to tears from laughter? Watching over our old clips, I had totally forgotten that I had filmed those scenes. And watching me and my friends making complete asses of ourselves was totally priceless. I remember when I first filmed with Moishii, I was thinking "Holy crap this is embarrassing!! People are watching!". But now, I really don't care. I'm never going to see those people again and I don't care what they think, infact, we may have bought some joy to their lives by acting like complete fools.

It was the same thing on Monday. A few of us had gathered at Usyd and decided to find a secluded area to do our filming. (Mainly cos we'll be screaming "BOMB!!!" non-stop and the last thing we need is for someone to call ASIO on us).

We picked our spot and got into costume. Basically the scene involved a Nun with a cocopops bomb, and insane woman with a chicken that lays eggs, an over the top news caster in a transvestites wig and a crazy woman with handcuffs, ricebubbles bomb and a pack of sausages. We started filming without a script and improvised everything on the spot. There was alot of screaming and yelling and then all of a sudden there was an audience. We all cracked up laughing and turned our back to the couple and their dog who wanted to rip my leg off to get to the sausages. And the best bit? All of this was caught on film. As embarrassing as it was, we got through the scene whilst laughing our heads off. Yes it was embarrassing, but 5 years from now, that clip will bring laughter to all of us who was involved. We'll be shaking our heads going "What the hell were we thinking??" followed immediately by a "Lets film!". Compare this to spending the entire long weekend learning to build a computer from scratch. 5 years time, that computer will seem like an antique if it hasn't already been thrown into a dumpster. Years from now, we can pull out our movies and enjoy our creation with all our kids and grandkids.

I guess what I am trying to say is, yes all those cultural things are important and would be great to be able to teach our kids what we have learnt. But our filming is equally important. Not in teaching them how to be a complete fool, but to teach them to be carefree. Enjoy life, be an idiot if you want to be. Life is too short to be serious all the time. Don't worry about what other people think. It takes more courage and character to put yourself out there and be a complete fool in public than it takes for someone to say "No. Go do something useful like read a book". They haven't learnt to let their hair down every now and then and enjoy life. Luckily, I am surrounded by friends who do know how to enjoy life and see the lighter side of things. They may not always put their hands up for filming (considering some people tend to injure themselves to get the spotlight :P ), but they understand enough to laugh along with us.

Cheers to many years of filming, laughing and priceless moments.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi! We do read books...your the queen of reading...you and CnC have a bookstore between the both of you, if you dont already have one!
=P

And there is nothing wrong with Shakespeare...I really like his work...and i like museums and galleries and everything cultural.

BUT i also enjoy our time filming! Cos even though i like enriching my mind, nothing beats filming HI to get me laughing nonstop! Other than watching E pushing a trolley, who is so unco about how to navigate it! *RofL*

~cherry

SoRMuiJAi said...

As I said, theres nothing wrong with reading, or painting, or art, or literature, or doing geeky things like building an entire server at home.

And theres DEFINATELY nothing wrong with filming. I guess my point is directed at those who think we're nuts for filming when we could be doing "better things". I don't see filming as a sub-standard hobby/activity, and I don't see it as pointless either. People scoff and think its a waste of time, but for me its a chance to create a priceless moment that we can watch 10years from now.

Its something I can show my kids and grandkids that I wasn't afraid to do something like that. I don't want to seem like one of those uptight conservative boring parents. I want to be able to show my kids that I know how to have fun and theres no shame in doing it. People can laugh at us for being morons for filming, but then I can laugh at them for not knowing how to enjoy life and be stupid every now and then. Life is too short, learn to enjoy the moment, even if it involves making a complete ass out of yourself. And so what if people think you're insane for doing it, atleast I enjoyed myself whilst being an idiot. And passerbys get a laugh at us being idiots and our future generations get to laugh at us being idiots.

I don't see how us being idiots and bringing joy and laughter to other people can be considered a "waste of time" compared to people who want to spend their time doing something more "meaningful".

Anonymous said...

I think we should film a porn!
Moishhii!